Friday, October 28, 2011

how about a super cute last minute halloween DIY decor?




So halloween is just right around the corner and I haven't any halloween decorations around. What is wrong with me? So now I'm on a hunt for easy peasy DIY decor. I search and surf the net and I run upon this little cute decoration that looks easy enough to make. I originally saw this cute picture on Lauren Conrad's website http://www.laurenconrad.com/post/tuesday-ten-eat-drink-and-be-scary-halloween-fall-party-ideas. An uber cute votive tea  light candle holder that looks like pumpkins and ghosts. No instructions but a link was most definitely available and so i go.

The instructions were indeed easy to follow on  http://www.skiptomylou.org/2008/10/10/halloween-votives/ as a 3 year old was a helper in the project. I thought if she can do it, i think i can do it too.

I gave it a try and this is what my finish project looks like.



The color didn't come out as true to real life in the picture but it really does look similar. I had to change a few of the materials I used due to availability  but it seemed to work just as well. Here are the materials I used.

an empty jar lying around

orange japanese paper

Elmer's glue and a pair of scissors

top of a container where i mixed the glue and water

Pilot super color marker
...and this is what I did.

With the scissors, I first cut the japanese paper into strips so that they are easier to work with.  In a little top of a container, I mixed a little elmer's glue with enough water just to make it watery to make it not so thick. Next, with my index finger, I wiped the glue/water mixture on a portion of the jar about the width of the japanese paper and length of the jar. I then placed the japanese paper on the jar with the mixture and smoothed it on. I went on to do this around the jar until I got to where I started and let it dry. After it has dried i freehandedly drew on a face with the marker and poof... I was done. I hope you try it and...

Have a HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

I would also like to thank  http://www.skiptomylou.org/2008/10/10/halloween-votives/ for sharing this uber cute easy peasy decor.

4 comments:

  1. hello! thanks for commenting my latest post! i already follow your blog, that's what u got if you keep on commenting my posts!please follow my blog back
    the"follow" button is at the top left of my blog :

    seekthesleek.blogspot.com

    if you follow my blog:


    - I WILL BE ACTIVE ON COMMENTING YOUR POSTS
    
- I WILL RECOMMEND YOUR POSTS TO GOOGLE

    - I WILL SHARE YOUR POSTS TO MY TWITTER : @TIODANG
PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR TWITTER ACCOUNT, SO I CAN MENTION YOU IF I SHARE YOUR POST TO MY TWITTER,
AND FEEL FREE TO MENTION ME IF YOU WANT ME TO READ YOUR NEWEST POST & COMMENT IT!
    
- I WILL PROMOTE YOUR BLOG IN MY BLOG (*this one need a special request , please contact me: cheeringwinda@yahoo.com if you are interested!)

    that's as long as u keep in touch with my blog

    P.S:THE "FOLLOW" BUTTON IS AT THE TOP LEFT OF MY BLOG, I DONT PUT FOLLOWERS BADGE

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS FOR FOLLOWING SEEK THE SLEEK! I'VE SHARED THIS POST TO MY TWITTER: @tiodang + RECOMMEND THIS POST TO GOOGLE :D
    i will keep in touch with your blog! as long as you leave a comment and share my posts too :D THANKS!
    let me know your twitter acc, so everytime i share your post to my twitter, i can mention you.
    feel free to mention me on twitter if u want me to check out your new post & comment it! if you want me to promote your blog on my blog,
    please contact me: cheeringwinda@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea! :)

    http://sandra-thepuzzleofmylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. @sandra: the credit also goes to http://www.skiptomylou.org/2008/10/10/halloween-votives/, the idea came from her and i just kinda change a few steps and materials a bit. glad you liked it just the same.

    xoxox,
    Ruvic

    ReplyDelete